Winning Appliances’ 2012 Renovation Intentions study highlights Australians’ desire to renovate
- Almost two in three Australians own their own home (with or without a mortgage)
- More than half (54%) plan to renovate in the next four years
- Over a quarter (28%) are planning to renovate within the next 12 months
- More than half (51%) have renovated in the past 12 months
Winning Appliances, leading kitchen and laundry specialists since 1906, has released findings from its 2012 Renovation Intentions study revealing over one third (66%) of Australians report owning their own home (up from 56% in 2011) and more than half of homeowners plan to renovate within the next four years.
The Galaxy Research survey into Australians Renovations Intentions was conducted via an online research panel of 1004 Australians aged 18 to 64 years.
According to the research, more than half (54%, up from 51% in 2011) of Australian homeowners are planning to renovate within the next four years, with the kitchen and bathroom set to become the most renovated rooms.
Further results of the Winning Appliances 2012 Renovation Intention study includes:
- Kitchens experience the highest growth in renovation intention - one third (36%, 28% 2011) of homeowners planning to renovate their kitchen.
- Bathrooms identified as the most renovated room - one third (38%, 37% 2011) reporting plans to renovate their bathroom.
- Laundry renovations remain steady - almost a quarter (22%, 18% 2011) will renovate the laundry.
- Renovating living areas is set to remain steady - one quarter (24%, 25% 2011) planning to refresh the living areas .
- Almost one third (31%, same as last year) will renovate other areas.
- Entire home renovations remain steady - 11% (12% 2011) will renovate their entire home.
Homeowners on the eastern seaboard (Queensland, NSW/ACT) are the most likely to renovate within the next four years (58%), followed by South Australia (52%), Western Australia (50%) and Victoria and Tasmania (49%).
Renovation Intentions for the next 10 or more years
David Crane, CEO of Winning Appliances, said the findings highlight the importance of style in the family home with homeowners increasingly looking to renovate the kitchen.
“More than half of Australian homeowners are planning to renovate within the next four years demonstrating the importance of design in the family home and Australian culture.
“We’re seeing a trend towards kitchens becoming the focal point of the home. The number of homeowners looking to renovate their kitchen has increased 8% since 2011 and Australians in general are becoming more willing to invest in their homes. They want to live in a home that reflects their personal style and want to be involved in the design process.”
“The number of homeowners planning to renovate their kitchen, bathroom and laundry has increased since 2011 and those planning to renovate the living areas has remained steady. Homeowners on the eastern seaboard are the most likely to renovate in the next five years,” said Mr Crane.